Thursday, February 27, 2014

Let the Outdoors Season Begin!!!

I cannot be MORE thrilled that the colder weather is finally going away.  Yes, we still have a few cold days ahead but the worst is OVER!  After two winter storms and being snowed/iced in for days at a time, I'm ready for warm months!  Hiking, backpacking, outdoors season in general, is right around the corner!  We have been recently blessed with a few warm weekends though, allowing me (and Will) to start getting back into backpacking shape.  Yes, I'm in great cardio shape with all the running and gym-going I do but hiking with 40 pounds of gear on your back is a different story.  I can't WAIT for our first backpacking trip of the year, but wanted to share some of God's beauty with y'all.

A few weeks ago, Will and I went hiking up Smith Mountain which is on Lake Martin in Alabama.  There's an old fire tower at the top of mountain that allows you to see for miles.  I'm looking forward to going back after everything is in full bloom but even in the middle of winter with low water levels, it was still a great view of Lake Martin and its surroundings!

At the Top of Smith Mountain

In the Fire Tower

My boys hiking lakeshore

A dilapidated shelter close to the top of Smith Mountain

View from the Top!

Different angle from the fire tower

More from the top

Again from the top
From the top of Smith Mountain at the base of the Fire Tower
If you are EVER around Smith Mountain and Lake Martin and enjoy hiking and the outdoors, please do yourself a favor and go to the Smith Mountain Fire Tower.  Even though Will and I turned our hike into 6+ miles, the hike from the parking lot to the top is maaaaaaaaaaaybe a mile.  It's absolutely doable for anyone who just wants to enjoy God's country without overexerting oneself.  Trust me, you'll love it.  These pictures really don't even do the view much justice.

So after that adventure came this past weekend's trip to Red Top Mountain in Cartersville, GA.  One of my best friends and another girlfriend joined me in hiking the 5.5 mile Homestead Trail. With moderate elevation changes but some good flat lands as well, this was a very enjoyable hike.  Just don't do like I did and run 7 miles before you hike.  Your legs will be SHOT after that much work.  Believe me.  I was SORE on Sunday, but a good sore.  Anyhow!  The views of Lake Allatoona were gorgeous, but again, just as with Lake Martin and Smith Mountain, looking forward to making this hike at full bloom!
Hillary, Shenell, and me on the Homestead Trail

Panoramic of Lake Allatoona

Docked sailboat enjoying the beautiful day

A little chunk of Lake Allatoona shoreline

Olliedog was having a blast in the lake!

Words cannot describe how happy I get knowing that shoulder season is right around the corner!  I am looking forward to more hiking and hopefully some really stellar backpacking trips this warm season!  If you know of any awesome trails that you've hiked, PLEASE share!  I'm hoping to get up to Amicalola this year as it's been a long time since I've hiked there as well as back up to Panther Creek.  I also want to venture to Raven Cliff Falls and some of the other areas in Northeast Georgia!  Would LOVE to hear about your fave places for hiking (and camping/backpacking)!

Thanks for reading!  Happy Thursday!

-Britt!

No comments:

Post a Comment