Monday, March 3, 2014

Rappelling in Action!!

SO I got to do another FIRST this weekend - rappelled down a rock face!!  I never thought in a million years that it would be something I'd want to do, but let me tell you, it was exhilarating!!!  I was at the Lake visiting Will this weekend and I'd already scoped out the weather sometime early last week to get an idea as to whether we'd be able to go hiking again.  The weather was supposed to be GORGEOUS so we decided that yes, we'd spend either Saturday or Sunday outdoors again.

So Sunday rolls around and we almost decided to have a Lazy Sunday and just enjoy the day for what it was before I had to leave to come back to Atlanta.  Then our friend Shane called Will and asked if we still wanted to go hiking, that he was ready, and would come over.  Looks like we didn't have much of a choice.  We got our gear together, packed a lunch, got the animals ready and were ready to go!  Then Shane said he thought about bringing his rappelling ropes and asked if we'd want to go....  I became almost instantly terrified because the edge of a high structure scares the BEJESUS out of me!  Will pretty much all but volunteered me, said "Sure!  Go get the ropes!  You want to go rappelling, right Britt?"  Well...  I guess I did....  Off to Smith Mountain we went!!

I was harnessed up and ready to go... And thought to myself, "what the eff am I about to do?...."

Rappelling down the rock face!  It was probably 35 ft tall - seems small but it's not when you're at the top dangling over the edge!
Made it to the bottom unscathed!!!  After my heart stopped pounding and I was able to catch my breath, I said, "Let's go again!!"  

So after my first rappelling trip, Will and I decided it may be something we want to do more often.  Unfortunately, Will couldn't go down the rock face because we didn't have a harness that would fit him.  So we're going to begin our research (and by "we are" I really mean "I am") and see what we can find!  I have a feeling though it's going to become like every other outdoor hobby we have - EXPENSIVE!!!!!!!!!!  BUT.  Totally worth it!!  Can't wait to go over more rock faces!!!  Baby steps though.  Not graduating to super high heights anytime soon!

Happy Monday!!

1 comment: