Thursday, March 1, 2012

A Favorite Healthy Recipe!

So I'm a big foodie and LOVE to eat!  In my fitness and weight loss journey, I have tried finding healthy recipes or revamping some of our favorite foods to make them much healthier!  One of my absolute favorite meals that Tom introduced me to are stuffed bell peppers.  Before meeting Tom, I'd never had them and boy was I missing out!!!  This recipe is VERY easy to make and it's very yummy!!

Stuffed Bell Peppers


Photo quality is a bit grainy and for that, I apologize :)

Ingredients
4 green bell peppers- medium in size
1 box Zatarain's Dirty Brown Rice
1 pound ground turkey
2 cans Old El Paso enchilada sauce- buy the smaller cans

Directions
Preheat oven to 350.  Cut the tops off of the bell peppers (you can chop them and use them for the stuffing- that's what we do).  Core the peppers so that no seeds or core remains.  Mix together dirty brown rice, ground turkey, and chopped bell pepper tops (minus stem).  Add mixture evenly between the 4 peppers. Place peppers in a broiling pan.  Pour enchilada sauce over the tops of the peppers (the majority of the sauce will pool at the bottom to cook out the flavors; can also be spooned back onto peppers when served for extra flavor).  Cook for 45 mins to an hour or until turkey meat is fully cooked).  Makes 4 servings.

Nutritional Information per serving (1 pepper)
430 calories
18 grams fat
25 grams protein
46 carbs

**This may seem high but keep in mind that one pepper is entirely satisfying.  Sometimes, I cannot even finish an entire pepper depending on the size of the pepper.  Also, if you are not a big fan of enchilada sauce, you can use minimal sauce and that will cut your calorie count as well.  With this recipe, you have veggies, protein, and grains in one little package!

ENJOY!!!

All My Love,
Britt!

No comments:

Post a Comment