Wednesday, February 29, 2012

2012 Goal Wrap Up!

GOAL #5- The last initial goal for 2012!

As many of you know, the Lenten season in the Anglican/Episcopal church is now upon us.  To me, this means making sacrifices just as Jesus made sacrifices for those 40 days spent in the wilderness.  This year, I've decided to give up all things sweet!  I have a HUGE sweet tooth and generally eat a little something sweet every day.  Well, that won't be the case for the next 40 days.  Technically I can eat whatever I've given up on Sunday's Feast Day but I'd rather not.  I want to make it 40 days without a single cookie, pastry, chunk of chocolate, piece of cake, etc.  I've made it almost a week and I've actually found great substitutes for my sweet tooth: fruit, yogurt, a small spoonful of peanut butter, and Costco trail mix (dried cranberries and cherries, walnuts, almonds, and pistachios- no chocolate) to name a few.  Tom has given up not only sweets but breads and most high-carb items as well.  So that means no more delicious fresh-baked Panera bread will be entering our house anytime soon.  Because he's given up bread, I will essentially be giving it up as well.  I'm not an overly big bread person anyway unless it comes in the form of toast or a vehicle for dipping (hummus and dips) so it shouldn't be too difficult of a feat for me.  Giving up bread and sweets will be MUCH harder for Tom than for me anyhow considering his work environment.  He's doing well so far!  The way that our Lenten sacrifices tie into my final 2012 goal is that I want us to grow our faith in God even stronger than it currently is.

This goal is something that is very personal to me.  I've always grown up in the church, got married in the church, but recently haven't been able to attend church as frequently as I should.  I don't feel this has any bearing on my faith and belief in God or Christianity as that is something I've never doubted; I just want to be closer to God.  I pray multiple times a day, a LOT when I'm running because that's my "me" time where I have no one to really distract me and no dog or house to tend to.  It's a time where I reflect on my day (or morning) and I pray as I run.  I also say my blessings before each meal and I always try to say my bedtime prayers but sometimes sleep encroaches before I can finish.  After we move, I want to become more involved in the church (also part of my overall health and wellness goal).  I want to start singing in the choir again.  I want to be more involved with church functions and events.  Tom has now requested Sundays off so we can start going again every week which I am VERY excited about!  I love listening to our services and sermons and hearing God's message delivered through our clergy!  I know this may sound super cheesy, but I always leave church in a lighter mood and feel as if I've learned something.  And I LOVE that feeling!

In college and for a few years thereafter, I didn't go to church, but still always believed in God.  Now that I'm past the party phase of my life and into the settled-down phase, I want us to get back into our regular church routine.  I want to raise our family in the church and I want to show God's love through our actions.  I want to continue my spiritual growth as I think it as essential part of my overall well-being.  My faith in God always brightens my days and lifts my spirits and I can only hope that I can show God's love to others and especially to our future babies.  

2 comments:

  1. I have some great reads for you and Tom about marriage and how to be a good Christian Husband and Wife. 1st) Love and Respect by Dr. Emerson Eggerichs, this is a great book, it something both of you should read. 2nd)Dustin is reading The Resolution for Men and I am reading The Resolution for Women. I would also suggest this one although I think The Resolution for Men is the more important one. There is a movie that goes along with these called Courageous. We just watched that this weekend. Very powerful. I loved it. If Tom doesn't want to read, at least watch the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks B! I don't know how much Tom will want to read the book (he's not a very avid reader), but I definitely plan to read those! It's so hard for us to go to church together or commit to a Bible study group b/c of his ever-changing work schedule but we actually talked last night that we're going to start doing some scripture reading at home every night to make up for the fact that right now we can't commit to a group! Can't wait! :)

    ReplyDelete