Tuesday, February 7, 2012

2012 GOALS!!

So as I've already said, I'm done setting New Years Resolutions.  For the past few years (and for the first time EVER), I've actually stuck with my New Years Resolutions (to get healthy and get back into shape) so I think it's time to start goal-setting.  Because I have multiple goals, you will get to read multiple posts!

Goal #1: Start and Maintain a Blog and/or Write My Book

So as you can see, I've already completed part of this goal.  I've started my blog.  Now I just have to maintain it, but I don't foresee that being an issue.  Just in writing this post, I get excited about keeping a blog!  It's such a great way for me to focus my thoughts and get them written without having to go at a snail's pace of manually writing in a journal.  I enjoy being able to document my life through words.  Although Tom did mention that he wasn't a huge fan of being mentioned in my blog.  I told him that because he's involved in 99% of everything I do, he has to be involved and pretty much didn't have a choice.  I reassured him that I'm not putting our entire lives on display, just the major events!

I'm writing this blog with the intention of sharing life's trials and tribulations, our joys and happiness, the blessings bestowed upon us, basically the milestones of my life.  It is a fun way for me to document my experiences and share them with my readers.  I also am trying to reinvent recipes to make them  healthier.  I want to share any of my health and fitness tips as that has become such a huge part of my life.  I'm looking forward to maintaining my blog and welcoming readers into my life.  Thank you for your support!

Now about my book.  I have a concept for my book and I have ideas.  I just have to get them organized and in writing.  SO.  Here's the background behind my hopeful book.  For those that know me, I used to be VERY overweight (like 80+ lbs over the heavier end of a healthy weight range for my height).  Until recently, I've been heavy essentially my entire life.  I've battled weight loss, done the crash and fad diets, tried to change my life, was always too busy, blah blah blah, excuses, excuses, excuses. I was never overly concerned (I've always been self-conscious, just not over-the-top) about my actual weight until I stepped on the scale in October 2008 at the lady doc and saw the number.  It.was.TERRIFYING!  It was probably the first time I'd stepped on a scale since I graduated college on Cindo de Mayo '07.  I'm still ashamed of that number, ashamed I let myself gain that much weight and get so big.  Fortunately for me though, I am 5'10" so I could hide my weight pretty well.  But still.  I wasn't thin nor did anything about me appear thin.  I didn't truly realize my size until I stepped on that scale on that fateful Autumn day.  In hindsight, I should've applied for one of my fave shows ever, The Biggest Loser, but I'm proud of myself for what I've accomplished on my own.  Now that you know a little bit about my lifelong weight battle, here's a brief update: I'm now 100+ lbs lighter (never thought I could accomplish that), 6 sizes smaller, I am in the best shape of my life, I've never felt better physically, mentally, or emotionally, and I'm still living a healthy lifestyle! I want my book to go through the journey of growing up heavy and what I've done to change my life.  I want it to expose my vulnerabilities and offer insight to others of what it's like to grow up heavy.  Sadly, I hated myself for being fat and was envious of skinny people.  Of course I never let those emotions show but instead decided to harbor those feelings; I didn't want to appear vulnerable and unhappy.  Over my weight loss journey, I have cried and had emotional breakdowns but I kept going; I was NOT going to lose this battle again!  I learned discipline and self-control.  I retaught myself how to eat healthy (portion control played a HUGE factor).  I started working out 5+ days a week for at least an hour a day.  I completely changed the way I was living.  Before this journey, I could barely run half a mile.  Now, I run 4-6 miles at a time EVERY time I put on my running gear.  I can do military-style push ups as well as other, more difficult types of push ups, something I was never able to do growing up.  I LOVE being so much healthier and feel SO much better about myself!  I want my book to expose everything about my journey from childhood to present in dealing with my body image, self esteem, weight loss, etc.  And if it ends up being a manuscript that never gets published, at least I can say I wrote a book.  I will say that I have already started it.  So far, I've completed the title page, Acknowledgments, and Introduction and I've started Chapter 1.  It will be a year-long process as books simply don't get written overnight.  I will keep you updated as I go!  I'm very excited about the idea of being a "novelist" and publishing a book.  I hope I have enough content to make this dream become a reality!

I will post more goals in subsequent posts, so be on the look out!

Hasta la pasta!

xoxo
Britt!

1 comment:

  1. That's great, Brittany! Can't wait to hear updates on your book.

    ReplyDelete