Thursday, February 9, 2012

2012 GOAL #2!!

Goal #2: Run a Half Marathon


So for those of you that know me, I'm already a runner.  I started running in August 2010.  I never EVER would have thought way back when that I would become a legitimate runner.  I am by no means an Elite runner and never plan to be an Elite runner.  They can run a mile in 5-7 minutes and MAINTAIN that pace throughout an entire race.  That blows.my.mind!  I'm happy with  my 8 minute miles!  That being said, when I started running, my goal was just to simply complete a mile.  I started in baby steps.  I remember the very first time I ran when Tom and I were out on a walk.  We ran the last half mile back to my parents' house (yes, we lived with my parents for a period of time when I lost my job until I found a job and we could get back on our feet) and I.was.dying!  I could not believe how out of shape I had become.  I'd been walking for a few months and I STILL was really out of shape!  But because I was starting to plateau with walking, I wasn't feeling like I was getting in a good workout.  When I'm at the gym or out on a run, I like to sweat.  And I sweat a LOT when I'm running (my trainer makes digs at me because of how I sweat more than a leaky faucet).  A good sweat makes me feel like I've actually done something.  Anyhow, from my half mile running venture, I added small increments of distance (quarter mile to half a mile) every 1-2 weeks, depending on how I felt after completing the current week's distance.  Unfortunately, I didn't know about the Couch to 5K (C25K) program, but I made my own C25K program.  I ran my first 5K on Thanksgiving 2010, Henry's Huffin' for Stuffin'.  I finished in a little over half hour (33ish mins I think), so about a 10 minute mile.  I continued to run my little heart out and build more distance.  My next 5K was the Sacred Journey Hospice St. Patty's Day 5K.  My goal was to finish in under 30 minutes and I did!  Barely.  But I did.  I finished in 29 minutes and some change.  After that, I ran the Kaiser Permanente Corporate 5K in September 2010 and finished in 27 mins and some change.  The same weekend (KP 5K was on a Thursday), I ran the Vinings Downhill 5K and finished in 26:42, 23rd in my age bracket (out of 104) and  89th in the women's division (out of 529).  I don't know though how I did overall as the results weren't broken down that way.  In October 2011, I ran the Spooktacular Chase 5K and finished in 27:34, 74th out of 311 overall and 5th out of 28 in my age bracket.  Because I am entirely too competitive with myself, I wanted to beat my previous 5K time, but I was happy with my results for one reason only: I'd been sick as a dog the entire week prior and it was 28 degrees outside when I ran this.  It probably wasn't my smartest decision to run in those kinds of temps, but I'd already paid for it and I wanted my long-sleeved technical shirt!

Since that last race, I've continued my running journey and I'll be running the upcoming Chattahoochee Road Runners 10K on March 3.  My goal is to complete it less than an hour, which is definitely doable!  Right now, I'm maintaining around 8 min miles (range is from 7:30 on some miles and up to 8:20 on some miles, depending on terrain and how I'm feeling that day).  Even though I'm just now "starting" a training program for a half marathon, I'm planning to run the Publix Half Marathon in Atlanta on March 18 (assuming we're still in Georgia and assuming it isn't too expensive by the time I'm able to register).  I've compared a few training programs and even though I haven't been following a training program exactly to the tee, what I've been doing for the past 6 weeks is pretty close to both training programs (running 4-6 miles on each run).  I'm going to start following it more closely but starting in week 7.  That means I will have an 8 mile run ahead of me on Saturday and it will only go up from there!  I can't WAIT until the day I can say I've completed a Half!!  I have a consistent runner's high now but I'm sure I will be on a cloud in Heaven when I finish my first half marathon!  It will be a huge accomplishment for me considering how out of shape I was a few short years ago!!

Running for me has become a catharsis, an outlet for me to relieve stress, anger, frustrations, etc.  I never in a million years thought I would enjoy running but it just makes me feel so much better about myself.  Living a healthy lifestyle in general makes me feel better about myself!  So for me to go from being inactive a few years ago to where I am today is already a HUGE accomplishment in and of itself!  I love setting new fitness and running goals for myself so the completion of my half marathon will be an even bigger accomplishment for me!  I will let y'all know how I do in the Chattahoochee Road Runners 10K in a few weeks!  I'm very excited to run my first "official" 10K!  I've run 10Ks on my own in the past, but never in an organized event, so I'm looking forward to having an official 10K time!!!

Hope everyone is having a wonderful day!!  Updates to follow!!

Love and Laughter,

Britt!

1 comment: