Thursday, April 5, 2012

Race Funzies!

As you know from yesterday's post, I've run quite a few races in 2012 and I'm currently registered for more races!  I just wanted to give a brief update on the other races I ran in March, the SFX Fitness Challenge 5K and Color Run Atlanta.

The SFX Fitness Challenge 5K is hands down without a doubt the most difficult 5K I have ever run!  On top of the 3.1 mile jog (at which I did well), there were 11 fitness stations, 5 dispersed throughout the course and 6 at the end of the run, right before the finish line.  The stations were as follows:

  • 50 burpees
  • 150 squats
  • 100 push ups
  • 150 v-ups
  • bear crawl up a hill with walking lunges down the hill
  • 25 kettlebell swings
  • 20 box jumps
  • 50 rope slams
  • 25 medicine ball slams
  • 30 lb sand bag toss and carry
  • scale an 8 ft wall (with help if needed and I needed it)
To say this race was hard is an understatement.  It wasn't the running that made the challenge difficult.  It was everything else!  I was sore for DAYS after this race, but I must say that it was physically one of the most rewarding.  Even though it was difficult, it was one of the best workouts I've ever had!  I placed 4th in my heat, 1st female of my heat to finish, and 5th female overall.  I have to say though that I was most nervous about the "wall" at the very end.  I knew I couldn't pull myself over it as upper-body strength has never been a forte of mine, but using the lovely 2x4 triangle holding said wall in place, I was able to get over it without too much trouble!  After completing the race, I was very proud of myself!  It wasn't an easy feat to finish, but I finished and met some fun people in the process!!

Now for the Happiest 5K on the Planet- The Color Run!!!!!!  When this race was announced months upon months ago, I wanted SO badly to register for it but didn't know if we'd be here for it (the move).  Once I figured out we'd be here through the end of March, Color Run Atlanta was already sold out.  I was so incredibly bummed that I wouldn't be able to partake in such a fun race!  A few weeks passed and I was scouting Craigslist for anyone looking to sell their number at a decent price.  Never found one.  

The day I got the information about the half marathon bib I purchased, I randomly went onto Color Run's website.  I saw they added another Atlanta race for Easter weekend.  I was considering registering for it so I followed the registration to get a little bit more info on it.  Upon doing so, it gave me the option to continue through the registration process for the original date: March 31.  I couldn't believe it!  I whipped out that debit card and signed up with a quickness!  When I got my confirmation and subsequent email, I called The Color Run Customer Service line just to make sure I registered for it and the lady told me it was my lucky day because I was successfully registered!  When I went back to the website out of curiosity, the 3/31/2012 Color Run link was no longer active and right next it, it said in big, bold letters "SOLD OUT".  I somehow managed to register for a sold out event.  I assume someone was refunded their money for whatever reason and I just so happened to look at the website at the right time and got an entry into the race!  I was the happiest kid on the planet that day because I also got my bib for the Georgia Half Marathon at a great price!  For the next few weeks, I was scouting out Craigslist for anyone selling their numbers because I wanted Tom to run it with me.  After talking to my brother, he was going out of town for his man's weekend so Tom was able to get his entry and Tom and I got to run the race together!

So the actual race was an absolute blast!  At ever kilometer, there was a color station.  We started with yellow where all the runners came out looking like we'd been through a pollen storm.  (Oh wait!  We have.  Highest pollen count in history occurred a few weeks ago.)  The following color stations were green, pink, and purple.  After crossing the finish line, we then went to the "Color Festival".  Every entrant was given a packet of this powdered paint/color to save for the Color Festival.  Every 15 minutes, the DJ would do a count down and at 0, everyone would throw the contents of their color packets into the air and everyone came out a paint-splattered mess.  We.Were.Covered!  But we were dancing and laughing and having a great time!  I met up with my sister in law and some of our friends afterwards, hung out for a little bit, then drove home very carefully and on top of blankets so as not to mess up the car's interior!

Before Color Run- Tom was impatient and ready for the race to start- Sorry for his scowl

After the Color Run as paint-splattered messes!


Group shot!

The Color Festival

As you can see, everyone had a blast!  It was the MOST fun 5K I've ever done and I cannot WAIT to participate in next year's Color Run!!!!  Afterwards, Tom and I went to eat lunch at his Panera and we actually scared some of the patrons and employees.  The employees didn't recognize us and the patrons did triple head turns to look at us, trying to figure out why exactly we were covered in paint.  Overall, it was a great experience and even more so because Tom and I got to do it together.  I paced with him and we kept each other motivated to finish.  I look forward to even more Color Fun next year!!!

I hope everyone has a GREAT Easter weekend!  We are off to California to spend it with my parents and grandmother and I could not be more excited right now!  So be safe, have fun, and remember why the Easter season is so special!

All my love,

Britt!


1 comment:

  1. Nice post. You might like this post about being "far from perfect". http://caroleschatter.blogspot.co.nz/2012/04/im-worth-it.html

    ReplyDelete