Wednesday, April 4, 2012

You Know You're a Runner When....

Happy Hump Day friends!!!

So I've seen discussion boards titled "You Know You're a Runner When..." and people will comment on things they do that makes them consider themselves runners.  Well I can't say I've quite had an epiphany about me being a runner as I've considered myself a runner for quite some time now, but this week especially I've found myself coming up with my own little additions to the title.

So here are my Top 10 running quirks that have recently occurred that immediately trigger my mind to say, "You know you're a runner when..."


  1. I schedule a lot of things around when and where I can run.  For instance, Tom and I are going to California this weekend to visit my parents and grandma (can't WAIT).  My mom asked me last week if I had any specific plans for the weekend.  I told her my weekend consisted of 3 mandatory things: run on *flat* (YAY) ground, eat at restaurants we don't have in Atlanta (In-N-Out Burger is among that list as well as some other local and delicious establishments), and visit with my parents, grandma, and friends out there.  I have mapped out a long run for Tom and me to show him my old high school.  I've already checked out different routes and also invited a friend (and fellow runner) to join me! 
  2. I spend more on my running shoes than 99% of the shoes in my closet.  I LOVE my running shoes!  I always try to pick a new pair that is brightly colored and noticeable.  My current shoes are a bright royal blue with light blue trim and a coral Nike swoosh.  
  3. I get uber-excited about races.  I didn't run as many races as I would have liked to have run last year, but this year is different!  As mentioned in a previous post, I want to run one race per month while the weather is warm and pretty!  (I don't do well with cold weather running.)  Here's what I've run so far and what I will be running the rest of the year.  Obviously a few months are missing so I will fill those in as I go.
  4. My laundry days are filled with more gym clothes than work or casual clothes.  My running and gym gear almost doubles my casual/work wear.  
  5. Every Sunday, I look at the week ahead of me and figure out what days are best for me to run, whether it's better to run in the mornings or evenings, if I'm going to be able to fit in my standard 5 days or if I know that's going to be difficult.  I plan evening events around running.
  6. I look forward to the many daily emails from Active.com and Runner's World with little tidbits of helpful running information, updates on events, new running trends and training tips, etc.  (Because of my Active Advantage membership, I get special emails with free race entries- I've now claimed 2 and my membership has been paid for!)
  7. I actually get envious when I see runners EVEN IF I've already run that day!  I get antsy and it makes me want to run with them!  
  8. I have to remind myself every week that at least 1-2 days of rest is absolutely necessary.
  9. On planned trips (such as this weekend's Easter venture to California), I look for races in the local area or I plan my schedule around what days I will be able to run.  It would be a lie to say I didn't look for races in the Fresno area for this weekend.  Even though I had no intentions of doing a race (considering I've participated in events the past 3 weekends), I still went to Active.com to see if there were any events planned for the area...  On free weekends, I look for events I may want to run.  I look for races in other parts of the state (or in other states in general) to see if there is any interest.  I'm on active.com or the Run Georgia calendar (best comprehensive running website for Georgia) looking at events at LEAST once a week now
  10. I truly get upset when I can't run or go to the gym.  For example, I was sick all of last week and even though it was HELL, I made myself stay home and rest for 4 days.  I couldn't tell you the last time I spent 4 days out of my running gear, probably the last time I was sick!  It pains me to not be able to run.  I also get bothered on my days off from the gym.  I know I have to let my body rest and recover so those recovery days are absolutely necessary; doesn't mean I have to like it though!
So those are just a few of my running quirks.  My mentality has completely changed about running and working out and living a healthy lifestyle in general.  I never thought I would be able to give you a list of runners' habits that also fit me, but it makes me proud.  A lot of people say I'm crazy for running 20-30 miles a week, but it makes me happy.  Running has become my catharsis and an outlet for stress relief.  I love the way I look now.  I love the way it makes me feel.  I love being connected to nothing but my music and thoughts for 30 minutes to an hour while I'm running.  I take a sense of pride in what I've accomplished and I look forward to continuing my lifestyle and being healthy in the future!  I hope we can instill in our kids the value of living a healthy lifestyle and how it would be SO much easier to start learning those tricks and tips at a young age.  I've wished on many occasions that I would've learned about a healthy and active life but working out, running, and going to the gym didn't interest me when I was younger.  I didn't care about what I was eating; I just wanted it to taste good.  Now that I've learned these things, I hope to carry them over to teach our future babes and I always want to be considered a resource for anyone interested in running and living healthy!

Expect another post soon with updates on the SFX Fitness Challenge and Color Run!  Happy reading, happy Hump Day, Happy early Easter!!

xoxoxo, 

Britt!

No comments:

Post a Comment